The Quiz “Faces and Places of the UK”.
1. Which of these cities is not Scottish? (1 балл)
2. Who of them was not born in Scotland? (1балл)
a. David Hume
b. David Livingstone
c. Thomas Carlyle
d. Sir Alexander Fleming
e. Sir Edward William Elgar
3. Where was the famous scientist and inventor Alexander Graham Bell born? (1 балл)
4. What part of the UK was the unfortunate ship ‘Titanic’ built in? (1 балл)
b. Northern Ireland
5. Read the texts and name the places. (Max – 8 баллов)
a. According to legend the head of nice woman rolled downhill in this well, and, where it stopped, healing springs appeared. This Well is formed of natural springs and the water in it is warm.
b. This place is a theatre in Belfast, designed by the most prolific theatre architect of the period, Frank Matcham. It was renamed the Palace of Varieties in 1904, although it reverted to its original name in 1909.
c. This Cathedral was designed by the court architect Sir Christopher Wren and built between 1675 and 1710. The funerals of Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington and Sir Winston Churchill have taken place here and the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales, to Lady Diana Spencer.
d. This place is a prehistoric monument in Wiltshire. The site and its surroundings were added to UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites in 1986. Archaeologists believe it was constructed from 3000 BC to 2000 BC.
e. Another name of this sight is Collegiate Church of St Peter, the coronations of English and British monarchs have been held there.
f. This place is a wax museum displaying waxworks of famous people.
g. This place is a road and foot traffic bridge over the River Thames linking Westminster on the north side and Lambeth on the south side.
h. This is a famous traffic intersection and public space of London’s West End, which is a busy meeting point.
6. Match the name with his/her occupation. (Max -10 баллов)
1.Ernest Henry Shackleton a.naturalist and geologist
2.Alan Mathison Turing b.poet, painter, and printmaker.
3.Isambard Kingdom Brunel c.revolutionary
4.Charles Robert Darwin d.a polar explorer
5.Guy (Guido) Fawkes e.actor, comedian and singer.
6.Oliver Cromwell f.a self-educated carpenter and clockmaker
7.William Blake g.mechanical and civil engineer
8.John Harrison h.scientist in the field of mathematical physics.
9.Michael Crawford i.mathematician and computer theoris
10.James Clerk Maxwell j.military and political leader, Lord Protector
7. Write down 10-15 sentences about any famous person in the UK you like. Write why he/she became famous. Explain why you like him/her. (Max – 7 баллов)
8. Write down the name of the sights. (Max – 8 баллов)
9. Match the person with his/her birthplace. (Max – 6 баллов)
1. Richard Burton A. England
2. Thomas Paine B. Scotland
3. George Best C. Wales
4. James Watt D. Northern Ireland
5. Francis Drake
6. John Logie Baird
10. The UK is famous for its notable scientists. Look at them and white down their names. (Max – 4 баллов)
a. b. c. d.
11. Write a small story (100-150 words) about any place in the Great Britain you would like to visit. Explain why you have chosen this place. (Max – 7 баллов)